What's best to cut laminate flooring?

+1
I am on a limited budget, and want to install some laminate flooring. I don't have any saws and I will need to buy one. I would like to get something that could be used again on other projects. What kind of saw works best?

• Sarah Barganier Sarah Barganier on Jun 18, 2018
    In my experience laminate is cut with an razor knife (like a box cutter), not a saw.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 18, 2018
    HI Jacqueline,
    I haven't installed laminate flooring, however I did find an article that might help you. They mention a hand or circular saw for straight cuts. If you need curves a jigsaw is recommended. You might be able to borrow a saw from someone else instead of buying one. Wishing you the best.

• Linda Linda on Jun 18, 2018
    My installer used a circular say for laminate floor and Luxury vinyl planks-LVP. But LVP instructions say a utility knife for cutting. I would review manufacturers instructions for recommendations. You may find videos on youtube by brand or specific product. I have a worx brand 4 1/2” circular saw that would be great. Purchased from Amazon but available at worx.com or big box hardware. Link attached. Good luck.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 18, 2018
    There is a tool, relatively inexpensive, that is called a 'scoring tool' or 'linoleum knife'. It looks a lot like a box cutter, but has a different blade. A regular utility knife blade can be used to cut flexible, self-adhering laminate strip material. The caveat is that you must change the blades frequently so the knife cuts properly -- a dull blade will not cut effectively. A utility knife can also be used to help cut vinyl tile squares around corners for L-shaped and nonlinear cuts, as long as the material is heated in advance with a heat gun (or your hair dryer on high) to make the material flexible enough to cut with a knife. This is for the flooring that is relatively flexible. Here are some hints that might help: https://www.doityourself.com/stry/cutting-linoleum-floor-sheeting. It would be best to use the linoleum knife. Target carries them, as do most home improvement stores.