Wood floors with gaps

+3
some of that is natural contraction with the cold weather...but would it be worth to either insulate from the bottom ..ie. basement ceiling , or just leave it alone.

• Ken Ken on Dec 20, 2017
    In my home the basement is maintained at the same temperature as the main floor. No reason to insulate between. If your basement is kept cold, you have good reason to insulate. Nothing to do with cracks in the floor.

Now, if you were asking if you should add another layer to the floor, I'd answer that I would. A finished floor of nail-down 3/4" tongue and groove oak over the subfloor will add quiet and sturdiness that you didn't know you needed and wouldn't do without.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 20, 2017
    It depends on how big your house is but any insulation helps with electric bills!

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 20, 2017
      850 sq ft up- the space is finished, 850 sq ft basement sorta not really finished but maybe half way there

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 20, 2017
    Hello. Running a humidifier in the cold winter months will help with the contraction. I had the same issue a few years ago. We installed a humidifier on the furnace and have not had a problem since.

• Terri Whittaker Terri Whittaker on Dec 20, 2017
    Also depends on if you have a heated basement under the floor. If so, don't insulate. Also to consider...if you have any plumbing running under the floor through an unheated crawlspace (as I do), don't insulate. The heat that leaks through to the crawlspace keeps the pipes from freezing. There are a lot of details to consider. If it's purely cosmetic, probably best to save the time and energy and leave the floor alone.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 21, 2017
    Just this past Oct/Nov I decided to insulate around the house and I already notice a difference in our bill. We have a cold storage room(not insulated), which is separate from the finished basement area. The rooms above the storage are colder than the rest. Happy Holidays!