Would love your thoughts on replacing flooring

I need to replace almost all the flooring in my house. That would include kitchen-family area, living-dining area, foyer, hallway, bedrooms. Except for kitchen and foyer all the rooms now are carpeted. I’m considering having laminate flooring installed but afraid I might not like it. Have any of you had laminate floors installed and then regretted it?

And I’m wondering what kind of vacuum cleaner or other cleaning tools I might need to buy to care for laminate floors.

Also, it seems like having all that work done would be a terribly disrupting ordeal to go through. Any advice on how to prepare myself or the house before starting such a project?

I’m a person who finds it difficult to make decisions so I would like to hear your thoughts on all this. Thanks.

• Save your money and buy hardwood instead. I am not a fan of laminate at all. I just ripped it out of my house.

As to having the work performed, essentially you will be moving out of your house and back in. Pick up everything and box up anything and everything you can so it can easily be moved as they work room by room. The materials themselves will arrive a few days before and need to be opened, inspected and acclimated. Yes it is a bit of an inconvenience, but what isn't? It is temporary and you will soon have beautiful new floors that you love. Any type of renovation is disrupting and if you do not do well with the dust, mess and change, stay elsewhere during the process. Most people say they can handle it and by day 3 are ready to run screaming from the building. If you are a nervous type, have a friend with you that calms you down. Learn about the process, fear and anxiety are brought upon by lack of education and ignorance. The more you know, the better decision you will make and be happy with the end result! You can do this and it is so much fun! 🤗

• I just bought a house where the entire downstairs is laminate. It's easy to care for...I use a Dirt Devil vacuum stick on it and it takes no time at all. Once a week, I damp mop it with a microfiber mop. The one piece of advice I will give you is to make sure rugs have a felt pad under them. That way, the rugs won't discolor/damage your floors. As far as the bedrooms are concerned, I like carpet.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 04, 2018
    I am not a fan about laminate either. It chips, can be slippery, can look and feel like plastic, sounds hollow, and I find due to the multitude of grooves, it is not easy to clean. Although there are varying thicknesses available now, if possible financially, I would recommend going with a quality engineered hardwood.