Are knock-out roses really foolproof?

+2
I have some drift roses which are not looking so lush this year (their 3rd). I saw a review of Knock-out roses which said they are easy and prolific. Is that true? I realize they are more of an upright bush, as opposed to my drift roses which are low to ground. Would be using them in a different spot.

• Betty Betty on Jul 04, 2018
    I have two knock out roses bushes .Will not buy another one . live in WV and the Beatles eat them up or you got other insects chewing away at them .they are supposed to be disease resistance . They are not in my location .they can grow fast and tall .lot of work to keep looking pretty .I keep taking care of these two but no more after their gone .they are about ten years old. .had for a while .my neighbor has three has the same problem . Maybe where you live they might be okay .Good luck with your new roses .

• Diane Diane on Jul 04, 2018
    Pretty much. I love in Alabama, so I do have to spray mine about twice a year for beetles. Those things can completely destroy the roses.

• Oliva Oliva on Jul 04, 2018
    Apply minced banana peels in the ground, for phosphorus. Apply Bayer Rose and Flower food, as directed for height of plant, to protect from Japanese beetles and aphids. Mulch to within 1" of center. Never water overhead, as it spreads disease, but water thoroughly. Pick up all rose petals as they fall to ground. If you have deer, spray with Liquid Fence concentrate (ratio of concentrate to water on bottle), weekly, and thoroughly in the evening, for the first month or so, then 1x month, thereafter. Remember to prune back in late winter, and provide good air circulation.

• Barb Verbos Barb Verbos on Jul 04, 2018
      Wow. Thanks for all the info. Seems like a lot of work. As you can tell I do NOT have a green thumb!

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Jul 04, 2018
    My knockout were the same,,,, Once I fertilized the 7-10 days they look fantastic..