How to Grow clematis in pot?

+2
Can I grow a clematis in a pot in south central MN and expect it to come back every year.

• 1401470 1401470 on Jun 14, 2018
    You can grow it in a pot now I would recommend bringing it indoors like in the shed over the winter season to project it from the weather. By doing this you have a better opportunity to save it from one season the next. Just make sure you plant in a large pot, example - six inch potted planted should go in at least a 8 or 10 inch size pot.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 14, 2018
    I don't see why not. Just make sure of a couple of things: the pot is big enough and deep enough so you can put a trellis in it For the plant to grow on and when it starts to get cold bring it into the house. Put plant pot on wheels for easy moving.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 14, 2018
    Boy oh boy, we have climatis and I think we have populated the neighborhood with it. It won't stop growing no matter what we do, it always comes back. Good luck, I would hesitate at being so kind to it. Lol

• Linda Linda on Jun 14, 2018
    Yup, you can.. Google it

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 14, 2018
    Might be threatened by bad frost and freezing.
    Normally mine have survived, this past winter was troublesome.

Im in zone 7 —I had three clematis in large planters by my garage door. I move them to the sunny side of the house during winter and mulch them heavily.

Last year I lost 2 of the 3 clematis due to the severly cold winter seasonal temperatures that we had.