How often do you water African Violets and can you get the leaves wet?

+2
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jul 03, 2018

Water once a week. DO NOT Get the leaves wet.

• Gk Gk on Jul 03, 2018
    African violets are so pretty when you figure out how to care for them! Here's a website with some tips regarding African Violets: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/african-violet/african-violet-care.html

• They do best when placed in a tray or saucer and let them drink from the bottom up. Never get the leaves wet, they will get mushy and moldy. Here is a site that provides simple, basic care.

Mine get bottled water as the tap water here is yucky.

• Betty Betty on Jul 03, 2018
    Mine get rain barrel in summer. .we have a water softener and I do not like using the house water .I agree with the bottle water or boil and let cool .I microwave my hummingbird feeder water .then let cool .

• Dianne Dianne on Jul 04, 2018
    The violets will begin to get limp and droop. There are methods used to furnish violets water w/o any effort. When you pot your plant, use a wick. Place it in the hole in a terra-cotta pot, allowing the wick to hang out the hole about 2 inches on the bottom and let the wick run thru the soil and plant your violet in pot. Have a small dish for the pot to sit in, fill the dish with water and the wick will pull up the water, watering your violets. Be careful to not over water. Depending where you plant is and the moisture in the air, will determine your watering schedule. (A piece of a nylon stocking makes a great wick.
    Water on the leaves will sometimes cause the leaf to rot or brown.