I have some irises that never die back. I need to spread them out.

+2
  • Bre Bre on Jun 19, 2017
    Dig them up and break the bulbs apart gently, the spread them out were you want them.

• 13526476 13526476 on Jun 19, 2017
    Irises are very easy to divide. As Bre said above, break the rizomes apart and plant them where you want them, keeping g in mind that you'll get the best blossoms in full or mostly sunny locations. You can actually transplant irises with the leaves on, although I cut the leaves down to about 4 inches or so. Also, you do not have to plant irises very deep: just enough that the top of the rizome is covered with soil; the bottom of the existing leaf. An help determine the depth. As with all new transplants, be sure to keep the plants watered. Although you can transplant irises anytime, I prefer to wait until fall so I have​ the leaves visible in my garden.

• Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 19, 2017
    Best time to do this is in the Autumn, but go ahead and dig them up, break apart and replant in different locations.

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 19, 2017
    my uncle had the most expensive iris rhizomes- $50 bucks for 1 was not unusual for him. when he went to divide the bed, each rhizome had the leaves cut back to 4 inches and fan shaped, then the rhizome was dipped in bleach solution to kill any bacteria, small insects. fungus. the plant was then planted on a small mound of soil with the roots buried, and part of the rhizome above the soil line.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 19, 2017
    Recommended time for transplanting is mid september