When is the best time to prune hydrangeas? None of my bushes bloomed

+3
  • Oliva Oliva on Jul 04, 2018
    Different varieties have different pruning requirements. Yours most likely blooms on new wood growth, and you pruned it away. It will recover, in time, but don't repeat this, or you may permanently stunt growth.

• Deb K Deb K on Jul 04, 2018
    In late winter or early spring, these shrubs can be cut all the way back to the ground. Smooth hydrangeas will produce much larger blooms if pruned hard like this each year, but many gardeners opt for smaller blooms on sturdier stems. To reduce flopping, leave a framework of old growth.

• Vicki Legman Vicki Legman on Jul 04, 2018
    The confusing part is that some you prune after they bloom, and then you don't cut back again until the next year's bloom is done (they bloom on old wood). Some you can cut back in the spring (they bloom on new wood). Your answer is probably to do the opposite of whatever you've been doing. Also, if they are in too much shade, they won't bloom as much. But if you're getting no blooms, then you're pruning at the wrong time.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 04, 2018
    I cut away the dead wood in the spring, once the hydrangea is starting to bud out in leaves. I only get a few flowers because mine is real old and shaded by a huge maple so that it hardly gets but a little sun in the morning. I don't know that replacing it would help because of so little sun, so I am just nursing it along to keep it healthy.

• Betty Betty on Jul 04, 2018
    I use to work at a garden nursery. .we heard a lot of compliant f for not blooming. .they love sun .you may have to move to another spot come fall . See if that helps .