Anyone have an idea for maintaining green onions during winter months?

+1
We do stir fry year round, and cannot run to store (too far), when we need them.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 25, 2017
    Unless you live somewhere where it gets really bitter cold, your onions will be fine outside. During the very, very cold nights, cover the plants with a layer of clean straw and uncover when the temps get back above 32F.

If you do live in a place with bitter cold, consider growing your onions indoors.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 25, 2017
    If you have a grow light and window boxes and somewhere to put the window boxes, you should be able to maintain a continuous supply if you are able to get the slips or regrow them from the root you cut off.

• Grow them in pots indoors. All you need is a sunny south facing window. Or if you need more light you can purchase "grow lights" - I plant all the root ends of store bought or homegrown and just stick in a pot of soil so that I continually have some growing. I am in Southern CA so easier for me, but you can do it. To make your store bought ones last as long as possible, just place in a glass of water in your fridge or a sunny window - see which keeps them fresher. Change the water out every couple of days. My mom use to wrap in a damp paper towel and the place in a plastic bag and squeeze the air out and store in vegetable crisper - would last 2 weeks if needed.

• Dianne Sabido Dianne Sabido on Dec 25, 2017
    Well chop them up and put in the freezer.