Aspargus Fern- should I cut it back?

+3
I left my Aparagus Fern outside forgot it.. Then it snowed and got cold but don't think much below 32.. The top of it is white, but underneath is still a lot of green.. Should I just cut it back like usual and hope for the best?

• Carol Carol on Dec 18, 2017
    I would, never hurts to try to save something.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 18, 2017
    I would trim back the frost bit part.

• Give it a "crew cut" and bring it up closer to your house. After cutting all the top off, the roots of the plant are still ok. Just cover it with an old blanket and keep in an area where low temperatures won't reach below freezing. On sunny days, uncover it and check to make sure it's not to wet or to dry. Watch out for mold and root rot. Your fern will start to produce signs of new growth during the spring!

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Dec 18, 2017
    Yes, bring it in and cut it back. It might come back.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 18, 2017
    Asparagus is generally pretty hardy so I would not worry too much about the snow on the top. Just leave it and cover with more snow if you are leaving it in the garden.

• Linda Holland Linda Holland on Dec 18, 2017
    Thank you everyone.. I usually bring in the Garage when it gets below 40 Degrees, and As Mary said give it a crew cut after a few days, it always come back in the spring.. So hoping it will again.. It is about 15 yrs old and have given many cutting to friends when I have separated it!!!
    Merry Christmas everyone!!