Bamboo plant

Kim Duran
by Kim Duran
+8
I have a bamboo plant that is starting to turn yellow at the stems. I've cleaned out the water and glass. Is there anyway to save it?
q bamboo plant turning yellow, gardening, home decor
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Feb 06, 2015
    That is a sign that you are not changing the water frequently enough and the roots are getting contaminated. It could also be the rocks at the bottom of the container. Clean the container again using mild soap and let it air dry. Then add the plant and water but no rocks. Look for signs that your plant is returning to health before you try re-introducing the rocks, and wash them with a mild soap and rinse them well before do so. You should be changing the water every 10 to 14 days.

• See 1 previous
      @Kim Duran I'm not familiar enough with lucky bamboo to tell. You have nothing to lose by trying, though. Good luck!

• Dana I Dana I on Feb 07, 2015
    yep Douglas that is what I did to mine and in a few weeks it was back to the green it was suppose to have. Great advice!

• Mijackson48 Mijackson48 on Feb 07, 2015
    Check the roots of your plant to be sure they look healthy. Without healthy roots, you'll have sickly looking stalks and leaves. Your roots should be nice and white and clean looking. No algae or greenish black algae on the roots. To get rid of algae, gently rinse the roots to remove as much algae as possible, put plant in a clean pot with water. Next, wrap aluminum foil around the base of the plant, so no light reaches the roots. Algae can't grow without light, but roots can grow. Good Luck!

• ColoradoUtah ColoradoUtah on Feb 07, 2015
    Kim Lucky Bamboo is really not a true bamboo but a dracena (sp.). One needs to watch the water to make sure it does not become foul or too full of alge. A regular cleaning as you have just done is a good thing with a little liguid fertilizer.

• Deanna E Deanna E on Feb 09, 2015
    I wonder if I may ask my own question about a bamboo plant here? This plant you have with the roots in water....Is there ever a time you will need to plant it in soil? Can you plant it in soil if you want to transplant it outside or is this one kind a household plant only?

• Susan Susan on Feb 11, 2015
    i have had mine in soil since it was 12 inches high 1 year ago and it is 45 inches now it does good in soil i also put mine on the deck in the summer and bring it in when it gets chilli out.

• Afil Uddin Afil Uddin on May 07, 2017
    I think your lucky bamboos are getting very low light or lacking of nitrogen.
    You can use urea for it.