Can I grow a gardenia plant indoors? And will it bloom?

+3
  • Joa24706262 Joa24706262 on Jun 14, 2017
    I would think the plant would grow, with plenty of light. As for flowers, I doubt that, unless the plant gets a lot of light and fertilizer. In my experience, only truly tropical plants do well inside.

• Ann Ann on Jun 14, 2017
    a friend keeps one. She kept it in her unheated garage with a grow light during the winter months. She puts it outside in spring and it blooms then. I'm not sure of her fertilization schedule.

• Olivia Morris Olivia Morris on Jun 15, 2017
    Lighting and fertilizing are necessary and lots of air circulation as well. Gardenias are subject to bud drop and mites that suck the buds before opening. Finicky plants for northern climates but if you are willing to go to the trouble you might have some luck or not!

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Jun 15, 2017
    If it did thrive and bloom, are you sure you could tolerate the smell? The odor gives me horrible headaches even outdoors...did the same to my mother too.

• Marcie Davis Marcie Davis on Jun 16, 2017
    Oh, that's kinda sad...they smell wonderful. Can't stand the perfume or candle smell but the actual flower is beautiful and very fragrant.

• Amy Wilson Powell Amy Wilson Powell on Jun 16, 2017
    Thanks for y'alls comments! Suellen, I love the smell of the gardenia..that being the reason I'd like to try and grow indoors. If it gets too strong, I can always move it to balcony.
    I'm going to get one of the dwarf gardenias and try it. Will let ya know how it goes!!