Can I over spray my tomato plants with castile soap and water?

Dar
by Dar
+21
I don't know if I should spray my plants daily or weekly to keep insects from destroying my plants. Can someone please help me? This is the first time I even planted tomatoes or bell peppers, they are planted in a planter instead of in the ground.
  • Cwh6899259 Cwh6899259 on May 15, 2017
    Weekly

• Leah Deverett Leah Deverett on May 16, 2017
    I recommend spraying your plants once every 1-2 weeks unless you're noticing a real bug problem then try 1-2 times a week. Good luck!!

• Dar Dar on May 16, 2017
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely do that. I'm not sure if it's that bad of a bug problem.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 16, 2017
    I have grown both tomatoes and peppers in pots and never had a bug problem that required spraying. If you see damage spray them, otherwise I wouldn't do it too frequently. You don't want to damage the leaves by spraying too much. As long as you keep the plants healthy and keep bug damage to a minimum they will love you and produce a lot of fruit for you. Good luck on your first endeavor! You may end up planting a veggie garden after this. Make sure you cage your tomato, and your pepper if it gets too heavy with fruit.

• Dar Dar on May 17, 2017
      Thank you Nancy. I hope I get plenty of fruit

• Shirleyg Shirleyg on May 16, 2017
    If it is a bad problem, try a garlic mint spray

• Dar Dar on May 17, 2017
      Thank you Shirleyg, I never heard of a garlic mint spray is it homemade and if so do you have the recipe?

• Judy Judy on May 16, 2017
    plant mint in a pot right beside them...this helps...I do it

• Dar Dar on May 17, 2017
      Hello Judy I forgot to mention that I have a Lavender plant near by, but I just moved it yesterday to be in front of my potted tomato plants will that work?

• CJ CJ on May 17, 2017
    I have never sprayed my tomatoes for pests. Check your plants daily or every two days to look for any sign of insect damage. I occasionally have horn worms strip leaves from plants but the are easy to remove by hand. Drop them in a can of kerosene, squish or however you choose, just kill them as soon as possible. A single hornworm can strip a plant in only a few days. Just treat problems rather than risk over doing a preventative that probably isn't needed. Enjoy your garden!

• I do not treat any of my plants for pests unless there is a reason to. And I get loads of produce off of all my tomatoes, peppers or anything else I plant. I tend to all the plants daily, which I know not everyone has the opportunity to do. Gardening is supposed to be fun and not stressful. Enjoy your first adventure! Happy gardening! šŸ…

• Shirleyg Shirleyg on May 17, 2017
    1 bulb (not a clove) of garlic
    1 1/2 mint leaves
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    6 cup of water
    1 small squirt of dish dertergent

pulse garlic and mint in a blender put in a pot add water pepper and detergent bring to a boil llet stand over night Strain through a coffee filter put in a spray bottle spray the top and bottem ol the leaves you should be bug free in 24 to 48 hours

• Deb Deb on May 17, 2017
    After each rain

• Shirleyg Shirleyg on May 17, 2017
    oops that should read 1 1/2 cups of mint

• Judy Judy on May 17, 2017
    bugs don't like mint or lemon...like lemon geranium...don't know about lavender...nice plant though

• Dar Dar on May 23, 2017
      I thought so too Judy. I just LOVE the smell of Lavender

• Judy Judy on May 23, 2017
    I would plant them close by to see if it would help...lol win win