Dead heading roses and changing direction of growth

+2
When you deadhead a rose, often times you would like the new growth to take a different direction, either to open up and area or close it in more... I know you are supposed to angle the cut at 45˚, what I need to know is if the direction the cut surface faces has any affect on the direction or path of the new growth??
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jun 08, 2017
    The most direct affector on the direction that they'll grow has to do with the direction of the sun. They'll turn to the sun to feed their leaves

• Tam 15076171 Tam 15076171 on Jun 08, 2017
    Hillela G. is exactly right about the direction of the sun being the biggest impact on growing direction but if you have a stake or a trelles there to tie it to you can actually change the direction of growth it will just take a while but i'd say after about 10 days or so when untie to look ( because I know you're gonna do it, I did) you will notice it changing direction. Be patient you can't force it to change direction.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Jun 08, 2017
    The wound or angle cut forces growth on the other side. So think with each cut if your making the to encourage or discourage and helps if your above a five leaf stem.

• Den Ny Den Ny on Jun 09, 2017
      Thank you for your reply, as I understand you, the side opposite the cut surface will be the new growth direction. That seems correct and aligns with other professional rose gardening sites advice

• Margaret Buettner Margaret Buettner on Jun 09, 2017
    Hello always cut your roses above a 5 leaf cluster so if you pick that they will grow that way