Did I kill any chance of putting flowers in my flower bed?

+1
I pulled an old stump out of my flower garden (new home just purchased). The stump & ground was covered in ants. Not thinking, I poured a half gallon of vinegar into the whole to get rid if the ants. Did I ruin my chances of ever planting "Knock Out " roses in that spot?
  • I don't think you should worry, you can probably rinse a great deal away with the hose and just mix in some peat moss and other soil amendments. Then feed the roses on a regular basis.

• Kathy Wells Kathy Wells on Jun 03, 2017
    My thoughts on this is this: Vinegar is acidic. Roses love acid soil. So, it might work. I think I would first rinse the soil by watering it daily for about a week unless it is high clay content. Or you can try neutralizing the acid in the soil by putting a pinch of baking soda in a gallon of water and watering the soil about a week before planting the roses. Good luck.

• Emmer Holbrook Emmer Holbrook on Jun 04, 2017
    peat moss is acidic also. maybe use compost. you might test the soil with an inexpensive meter from a garden center. usually they are combos--pH and moisture. maybe fertility or other factors as well. good things to know about your garden anyway. i agree that the vinegar will wash away in the rains rather quickly.

• Marcie Marcie on Jun 04, 2017
    I would amend the soil, and also wait for a bit before planting. Let the vinegar wear and wash away some.