Do I need to dig up bulbs after they bloom?

+3
I am planning bulbs now to bloom in the spring. After they bloom do I need to dig them up to replant them in the fall again? Will they rot if I leave them in the ground?

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 04, 2017
    It depends which bulbs they are. Some, like daffodils and tulips stay in the ground all year long (you can cut them to the ground after the leaves turn yellow). But tender bulbs like dahlias have to be dug up and stored in a cool, dry place in the winter and replanted. I would research the flowers you have and see which ones need to be dug up.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 04, 2017
    NO, leave the bulbs to gather strength and nutrition for next yrs blooming. They need all the time they can to regain their strength

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Dec 04, 2017
    NO just leave them in the ground....allow the leaves to die back naturally as the leaves will feed the bulbs for upcoming years. YOu May have to divide the bulbs after a few years.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 05, 2017
    It depends on what flowers they are. You can leave tulips and daffodils.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 05, 2017
    Do what Holly said - she knows.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 05, 2017
    If these are cannas, or dahlias- they must be lifted prior to the ground freezing. Place them in an old net bag, like onions come in - or an old basket where they get air, so they will not rot. Place in a cool place like a garage or basement - but not where it gets below 32 degrees. Then replant them the spring, after there is no frost.
    If they are tulips they can stay in the ground.
    Lilies, the type from a bulb (like an Easter Lilly) should also stay in the ground.