Do you have to fertilize a young Japanese Maple tree?

+7
Do you have to fertilize a young Japanese Maple tree. It has lost all its leaves. is it in the winter dormant stage now?

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 04, 2017
    You can take a soil sample to your local nursery to make sure the soil is healthy

• Dee Dee on Dec 04, 2017
    It is normal for the tree to lose its leaves in the winter. It does not need fertilizer now it is dormant for the winter. Wait until the spring and then you can apply fertilizer to stimulate healthy growth.

• Elaine Elaine on Dec 04, 2017
    I have no idea where you live, but most trees drop their leaves for the Winter months. Only fertilize a plant when it’s going into its “growing stage”. Winter is the “resting stage”, therefore, it doesn’t need to be fetilized.

• Elaine Elaine on Dec 04, 2017
    Thanks, Lucille! I’ve only been to California on a brief vacation, therefore, I’m unable to provide a definite correct answer. I’m sure there’s good information on Google, etc. or simply visit a reputable nursery in your area.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 04, 2017
    Do not fertilize until Spring. You do not want to encourage new growth now.

• Judy Judy on Dec 04, 2017
    No you do NOT have to fertilize the tree. I would just place fresh black soil around the tree., but dig down about 2" or more, and add the fresh soil. This is a fresh boost, and it will do just fine. Best wishes, J.