Do you prune an over grown clematis in the spring or fall?

+4
  • William William on May 30, 2017
    You can remove dead branches anytime. I prune and cut mine back in the fall.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 31, 2017
    I only cut off the dead branches in the spring when the new growth emerges.

• John pyles John pyles on May 31, 2017
    Either time ,

• Kathleen Kathleen on May 31, 2017
    We cut ours all the way down in the fall. We even split ours this spring as it was getting HUGE. We just cut into it with the shovel. We divided it into 5 parts and even planted two in pots on the porch that are doing VERY well. It was getting so big that we could not find anything that would support its weight. We finally built a cedar arbor with posts cemented in. Hopefully, that will not fall down!

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on May 31, 2017
    You can do both

• Cindy Cindy on May 31, 2017
    Hello Janice. I really like Clematis but I know they can get out of hand. I always use the old rule of thumb: Prune from Spring thru Fall during months that contain the letter "R" in their name. For example, you can prune in April but not May. May does contain the letter R. I have used this method for a long time with great results. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Crystal Jozefick Crystal Jozefick on May 31, 2017
    Plants in this clematis pruning group should be pruned before the end of July to allow blooms for next year. Pruning clematis vines that flower in summer or fall should be done in early spring, as these flowers are produced on the current year's growth. Large flowering hybrids may produce a second set of blooms.Mar 26, 2015
    Clematis Pruning Groups – How And When To Trim Clematis