Any tips for pruning my grapefruit tree?

+2
We live in AZ and have a 2 year old grapefruit tree! It is just starting to grow grapefruit however, the limbs are very full and are touching the ground, do I need to prune them back? It looks like a bush vs. a tree.
q help with my grapefruit tree
  • Brenda L Herrling Brenda L Herrling on May 30, 2017
    Monte N.
    Extension Program Specialist from Texas

Citrus trees are evergreen plants, and they tolerate pruning throughout the year. Fall pruning can decrease blooms and fruit on those citrus types that set most of their fruit in the spring. Winter pruning may unnecessarily expose trees to more freeze risk. Early summer pruning is ideal, because it allows the tree to set a crop of fruit, and gives the tree several months before winter to regrow. Citrus trees that are well cared for can live for several decades. Diseases may shorten a trees productive life to about 25 years in some growing areas.

• Treva Kirby Adams Treva Kirby Adams on May 30, 2017
    Consider using crutches to prop up heavy limbs to prevent breakage - or make your own. Be sure to cushion where the limb rests on the prop. Pruning in early summer will also help, just be cautious and do research before you begin or have a professional arborist do the pruning.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 30, 2017
    I would not recommend any pruning until the grapefruit has finished producing for the season.

• Karen Karen on May 30, 2017
    I leaves as many of the lower branches as I can, because they shade the trunk. I prune after harvesting the last fruit.

• Vivian Vivian on May 30, 2017
    I would support the limbs until the fruit is harvested and then prune.