How often should I water a Christmas cactus plant in a medium size pot

+2
  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 24, 2018
    I water mine a couple of times a month. Stick your finger in the soil about an inch deep to see if it's dry. Use a fertilizer once a month or so, and remember, when you cut or pinch off a leaf, you are cutting off a possible flower. You can take that leaf and stick it into the soil and it will take root and grow. Mine is over 100 years old! It was my grandmothers, and my mom got it when my granny passed, and when mom passed, I got it. I've given away a lot of it's babies:) They don't like direct sunlight, so make sure there's a curtain in front of direct sun, or move it back from the window. Also, keep it away from a cold window, it makes them crazy and you don't want a crazy plant!

• Ken Ken on Feb 24, 2018
    Water when the soil is bone dry about half the depth of your finger.

• A A on Feb 24, 2018
    Don't water a Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera x buckleyi) until it tells you it needs it. Like many succulents with thick fleshy leaves, the leaves will just start o shrivel a bit when they're thirsty. Over watering is the absolute best way to kill this plant.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 24, 2018
    Get a moisture meter that will help to tell you when the soil is dry enough to water. It may save your plant from over watering.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Feb 25, 2018
    I water mine once a month in the hot months, and once every two or three months in the cooler months. If I forget to water one time, I make myself wait until the next month. Then I check the soil down about two inches. I have killed cacti of all kinds by watering too much. ☺️