How to grow plants from vegetables.

+2
I want to experiment with my grandchild to show how to grow little plants from potatoes, squash or fruit.
Any ideas??

• Susan Maddox Susan Maddox on Jan 04, 2018
    I tried this last year with 2 of my grands. We planted tri-colored carrots. My grand daughter dumped the seed packet in so we just spread them out and hoped for the best. I honestly thought I would be planting carrots from the grocery store later that summer. They sprouted fast. Good for them to see. They were thick so we pulled a few and they learned that there was a better way to plant them so they could grow better. It was also a great teaching time to talk about what you see on the outside doesn't always show you what's on the inside. (Attitude and actions). When they visited they watered the pots and garden by hand. They tried everything we planted. We had the most fun seeing the funny carrot shapes and discovering what color we would pull. They were so sweet and delicious. I had to remind them we needed to wash them. A little dirt didn't hurt. We are doing it again this spring. Hubby is making taller beds for my back.

Wonderful and so pretty.

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jan 04, 2018
    Use organic fruits and vegetables, commercial product has been bred to not reproduce itself. Things like celery and lettuce are simple, you just put the bottom couple of inches in a dish of water and it will start growing. Fruit seeds are a little different, and will depend on what fruit you are trying to grow. I did lemon seeds, I believe I had to soak them for a few hours before planting them in moist soil that needed to be kept damn. Its been over a year, and while I don't have a tree, I do have a 8 inch tall plant with some leaves. Foolishly, while I kept it watered, I didn't have it in the best soil for a long time, so it hasn't grown as much as it should have, but it did grow!

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 04, 2018
    Cut the end off celery about 2 inches, green onions, lettuce heart, and put in water. They will root and grow. Change the water out after few days and keep water in the bowl. Sweet potatoes grow a vine. Stick toothpicks in to hold it at top of a glass, and cut off half, fill glass with water up past the bottom of the cut place. Cooking white potatoes will grow in any planter of soil. Set it where it will be warm and keep it watered regularly. It will grow potatoes over the summer. Grow herbs like mint, basil in a container in the house in a window sill. They grow very easy and are fun to add to foods/teas.