How to irrigate my raised beds in the garden when we're away?

+2
when taking some out of Town trips with no handy man in the house to help?
  • Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 07, 2017
    A day or so before you leave, weed your beds (weeds compete for water).
    Cut the grass and pile the clippings near the beds to use as mulch. As late as possible before you leave, water your beds deeply. When everything is thoroughly soaked, spread the soil with clippings or, if you don't have clippings, compost or other mulch. You could even place large stones or planks of wood between the rows of vegetables. The idea is to ensure the soil beneath remains damp for as long as possible. Don't use plastic, as you want any rain that does fall to soak in.

• Brenda Brenda on Jun 08, 2017
    Get soaker hoses and set on timer. Can water all year like this and spend less on water. Available at hardware or big box store-not to expensive and last forever

• Per23914516 Per23914516 on Jun 08, 2017
    You can set up drip irrigation. There are kits available at the big box stores. We have over 75 pots hooked up to it.

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 10, 2017
    the least expensive commercial option is to use soaker hoses, remember to get a cap for the end of the hose, and set them on a timer. remember to leave the water on. had a neighbor turn off my irrigation system - they thought i'd accidentally left it on and wanted to save me money.

if you are out of the house for just a few days, you can collect gallon sized containers ie milk jugs.....poke small holes in the bottom of the jug, put it next to the plant then use a hose to fill it. the cap can act as a valve- no cap on the faster the water will move out of the jug. a loose cap- if you can still find jugs with screw tops- you can control the out flow a bit.

drip irrigation is great ... but can get pricey. since i can't grow in ground at my current place- my garden is all in containers of some sort. containers tend to dry out quicker than garden beds, so i caved and put in a drip irrigation system. it works ok, until the neighbors dog decides to run thru the beds, dislodging the emitters.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 10, 2017
    I, myself would get a neighbor kid to do it. Make sure you show them how you water and how much and how often. Some kids can even tell when some need watering from the look of the soil. As long as the parents know they are doing it so they can remind them and make sure they don't forget the kids will do fine. Kids who can't get a job because they are too young would probably love to have a little pocket money. We used to do this when we would take the kids to the cabin when they were young and had no problem except once my watermelon plant came out into the yard and it was accidently mowed. We had a wonderful harvest from our veggie gardens the years that we had kids water when we were gone.