How to tell a dead bloom or upcoming one off petunias?

+5
  • Tam13317878 Tam13317878 on Jun 11, 2017
    Very easy to tell the difference Mary. If the flower is droopy at all it is spent; it will not perk back up like some flowers do after watered. Pluck them.

• Mary Mary on Jun 12, 2017
      I try to deadhead all the droopy ones, but then some I either didn't find in time or they will bloom in a day or two. They are tight like I think a new one might be. I can tell ones I missed that are brown, but not this kind. Thanks so much for trying to help me!

• Stephanie Rozmarich Stephanie Rozmarich on Jun 11, 2017
    Learning how to deadhead petunia plants is one of the simplest jobs in the flower garden. The basic petunia deadheading info consists of two rules: clip off the blooms once they turn brown and cut the stems directly above the next set of leaves. This is also a simple job for school children to complete and often makes a good chore for kids to help in the garden. You can remove the blooms by pinching them off, but it’s easier to use a pair of snips, scissors or garden shears. kids can even use their safety school scissors. Follow the stem down to a pair of leaves and clip it right above. The plant will bush out, creating even more flowers that before.

• Mary Mary on Jun 12, 2017
    I didn't know about snipping them. I just pull blooms and discard.

• Mky22485147 Mky22485147 on Jun 13, 2017
    The spent bloom are not dead they are producing fruit in the form of a small seed. So if the growth has a seed in the center of it pick it off and help your other flowers to multiply

• Mary Mary on Jun 13, 2017
    Thanks, will try to save some more now and later.