How should you prune back a Christmas cactus after it blooms?

+3
I read that you should prune back your Christmas cactus after it blooms but, it did not explain how? Can you please explain how to do this? Thank you,
Jeannette Ward
Pilgrims Knob, VA.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 07, 2017
    I usually pinch back up to one leaf from the branch off. Sometimes this gives you two new shoots and if you are lucky, three. I keep doing this all summer long as the plant grows and it gets really bushy and then ,of course you get a lot more flowers because you have more branches.

• Susie Barnett Susie Barnett on Dec 07, 2017
    You just snap off the spent blooms. That's it. : )

• DiannaLynne DiannaLynne on Dec 07, 2017
    no need to routinely prune them. the spent blooms will fall off on their own, and you can encourage branching by pinching off some growth at the joints but it's not necessary for the life of the plant. You can easily start new plants with the parts you've pinched off by sticking them in moist soil to root, or rooting them in water.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Dec 08, 2017
      Thanks. I did not know that. I will now, be pinching and planting. I have done that, for years, with my African violets.

• Elaine Elaine on Dec 08, 2017
    I agree with DiannaLynne ... there’s no need to prune a Christmas Cactus. I had one that grew SO much, it grew well over 2-1/2 feet across and was just too large on the coffee table. I had no other spot to keep it so passed it on to a friend. I pinched off the leaves at the “joints” but it was a full time job trying to control its size. They are very easy plants to look after. A friend of mine had one well over thirty years old. Mine used to bloom at Easter, the American Thanksgiving (ours is October) and Christmas ... for that reason, they are sometimes called “Holiday Cactus”.