I want to make a mulched flower bed- how can I get the grass out?

+3
Is there any way to get the grass out without digging? I'm not a very good digger.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 27, 2017
    Try smothering out the weeds with newspapers,cardboard and black plastic.Once they have died down remove before planting.

• Sarah Sarah on May 27, 2017
    If you lay a thick layer of wet news paper ( about 5 sheets thick) down in the exact area you want to get rid of grass, all grass underneath will die in about a week. Don't even remove the newest paper. Just put mulch right over it. Grass won't grow though it and by the time it decomposes grass seeds will have been long gone.

• Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on May 28, 2017
    That's what I did Sarah. It works great.

• Cindy Cindy on May 28, 2017
    Hi Dandecarver, You may want to consider the newspaper (or cardboard) method. I have used newspaper before. I lay newspaper down and weigh it down with my yard clippings. This is the most effective and inexpensive way I have found. Hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Gardening.

• Dan10006270 Dan10006270 on May 28, 2017
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like the newspaper will smother the grass. going to try that.

• Debra Edds Debra Edds on May 28, 2017
    I have put land scaping fabric down