It’s 2° out and I just realized I haven’t covered my rose bush.

+3
My grandchildren gave this to me over 20 years ago so I don’t want to lose it, can I still trim it and cover it? If so when?

• Ken Ken on Dec 30, 2017
    If it has survived all these years without anything special for winterization, i am wondering why you are concerned. I've never done anything with mine and have never lost any of my perennials after the first year due to freezing.

• Sco19943475 Sco19943475 on Dec 30, 2017
    I never cover mine in Indiana and they seem to do fine. I hope yours does well. Think too late to trim till spring.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 31, 2017
    Wait until very early spring or very late winter to trim, just before it starts to grow new leaves. Our roses live out in 10 below, 20 below, 30 below zero and usually do fine in winter. I do not cover them. They always come back!

• Jor4658769 Jor4658769 on Dec 31, 2017
    roses are extremely hardy plants. Just cover it with fleece and prune hard when the weather warms up a bit. My roses cope with freezing temperatures every year.

• Lia30086337 Lia30086337 on Dec 31, 2017
    I would cover it to be on the safe side but I would NOT trim it until spring. If it dies back abit now it will be fine. but if you trim it first you are exposing the fresh ends to potential harm and it will die back even further. I traditionally do not cover my roses but I do mulch them well in the late fall. Good luck.