It's only been in the low 30s here every night.

+2
Can I still prune Hydrangas, where on the stem of reblooming via stem flowers, and where on the plants that grow new stems?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 09, 2017
    It is best to wait until the spring when the new growth emerges to be able to distinguish the old and the new wood.

• Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 09, 2017
    Most hydrangeas bloom on OLD wood, so if you can stand it, just leave them alone. Hydrangeas have been doing fine for years without interference from well-intentioned humans.

• Keith Widgington Keith Widgington on Dec 09, 2017
    Hi Jay
    you could prune it back if the leaves are beginning Sag. if you’re just cutting back a few branches because theupre too long or in the way there’s no problem. But if you’re wanting to trim them to prep them for winter you need to consider what kind of hydrangea you have. Some hydrangeas bloom oh older branches while others bloom on new branches. If you have one that blooms on new branches you can trim it whenever you want. whereas if its one that blooms on old stems then you should wait until spring growth starts. These hydrangeas form their buds in fall to grow in the spring. Wait until leaves appear and cut off anything above the buds that are not growing any foliage.

• Allison Newby Allison Newby on Dec 09, 2017
    I don't see why not. Just deadhead it and trim it however. I don't believe it really matters as to how you trim them . I've always don't it however and gotten beautiful results. Personally, hydrangeas are a very forgiving plant. Also, did you know you can propagate them very easily. Next spring when your bush has new green growth around the bottom. Simply find the new green offshoot , leave on bush, scratch the stem close to the ground and lay it on the ground. Place soil over the spot you scratched and place a brick on top of that. Water daily in spring and within a month or so you'll have another hydrangeas to plant elsewhere. Jus cut it from the mother plant and transplant. Sorry just thought I'd share. Good luck with your hydrangeas!

• Ro Ro on Dec 09, 2017
    NO, once you hit first frost it is too late and you will not have any flowers next season