Making hostas grow bigger

Cb.8378013
by Cb.8378013
+7
I would like my hostas to grow bigger and faster.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 10, 2016
    If the Hostas are established plants you can feed them with a water soluable fertilizer.Make sure this is not done in the extreme heat.

• Kac6978723 Kac6978723 on Jul 10, 2016
    I have found that a Miracle Grow & water solution applied through a sprayer (usually included with the Miracle Grow) works wonders for all plants! Just put the recommended amount of Miracle Grow in the container, hook it up to the garden hose, and spray in the evening when the sun is not so hot. It's amazing how quickly your plants & trees will grow and how healthy they will look!

• Pat McClellen Pat McClellen on Jul 10, 2016
    They like lots of water and prefer partial shade - no early afternoon sun.

• Sylvia A. M. Colburn Sylvia A. M. Colburn on Jul 10, 2016
    You can't underestimate the power of good, deep soil. In Massachusetts, I was blessed with both and NEVER thought about feeding my hostage because they were huge on their own. Now, with terrible, white clay and sand soil, it was an endless struggle, so I no longer try. So, my advice is to dig around the perimeter of the roots and fill in with rich, really rich compost, the gift that keeps on giving. Little by little, earth worms will use it, incorporate it into the soil below the hosta , and thereby deliver it to its roots, giving you an ever more robust plant.

• Lisa Falkenthal Lisa Falkenthal on Jul 10, 2016
    You can't do much to push their growth without making them weak. Make sure you have large varieties. Hostas can be any size from 5" to 5'.

• RichandTammy Whiteside RichandTammy Whiteside on Jul 10, 2016
    I'm a fan of Miracle Grow but with hostas, be careful what you wish for or you may end up with hostazilla.

• Arnytracy Arnytracy on Jul 10, 2016
    Someone told me that cutting the stalks the hosta blooms (before they bloom) helps. They explained that by doing that, the energy that would have gone into the blooms is available for root growth. It did seem to help when I did that. Fertilizing them and watering regularly until they are established also helped. While I love Miracle Grow, I read hostas actually like acidic soil (that is why the do better by pines than many plants do), so something like Miracid might be better for these plants. Good luck!

I never fed my Massachusetts hostas. In great soil conditions, they didn't need it. In Texas Hill Country, I don't even try to grow them. In Houston good soil over sand, I do the compost thing I described above and they thrive.

• Evie Evie on Jul 11, 2016
    With all plants, the right soil is the first and most important thing for them to grow well. Hostas come in tons of varieties (cultivars) and there are certain ones that grow huge, as well as diminutive varieties. To get the best out of yours, add compost to the soil they are in and around them under mulch. Hostas grow well in shade or partial shade, some do poorly in too much sun, other new cultivars are developed to grow well in sun too. Slugs love them so if you see holes in the leaves, they're the likely suspect. You can get pet safe slug defenses, "Sluggo" being one of those. If you want to lure slugs into a sunken bowl of beer, which works, be sure to put the lures AWAY from your Hostas ! If you put them right by the Hostas, you will lure them to your Hosta's where they will dine before becoming dead drunk in the beer bowls. Slugs can smell their desired dinner from 5 feet or more away. I used to pour horse feed on top of a 4' high boulder for my horse, and slugs could smell the molasses from the ground and come up to eat horse food, so that dining room for my horse was changed to a hanging bucket!