What's the safest way to move a very sentimental Japanese tree?

I am moving from Marietta, Ga to Acwoth Ga. I am closing the end of janurary but not moving into my new house until April 1st. I want to take a well established and sentimental Japanese Maple tree. Also I want to take some hostas from the grown. What is the safest way to preserve this small tree and various size Hosta until they can be replanted (if possible).

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 04, 2017
    Nice move to a more rural area. Hostas can be dug up and put into pots. The tree? I don't know. You usually are not suppose to move or take anything "attached to the ground" unless you have written permission in the contract if you sold your house. If you can, I'd dig as much of the root ball as possible, then cover it all in burlap. Put it in the largest pot you can. Don't know if it'd survive without being replanted sooner since it is well established.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 04, 2017
    Hostas are pretty hardy. Just make sure they are not too wet, so they won't rot. As for tree, if it that special, I would speak to a professional arborist.

• Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Dec 04, 2017
    Sal is correct about the tree in the ground being part of the property and can’t be removed. Call me please. Your real estate agent about this so you don’t encounter a problem.
    If you are able to remove it, contact the cooperative extension agent for your area for the best advice on how to transplant it. Moving a few hosta should be no problem as long as you don’t decimate the bed. Again, call your realtor and the extension agent.