My apple tree (Granny Smiths) won't fruit

+2
My apple tree has developed a sort of white, crusty fungus on it's bark. Although we had plenty blossom; it just dropped off hence no fruit. I live in the Highlands of Scotland. Can anyone give advice please?
  • Teresa Newby Begnoche Teresa Newby Begnoche on Jun 07, 2017
    A farmer told me once that in able for my apple tree or any fruit tree to produce fruit I needed to have two so they could cross pollinate.
    This works for me

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 07, 2017
    You will have to treat the fungus with a organic systemic for fruit trees.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jun 07, 2017
    There are so many reason why this could be happening. Teresa is correct in that apple trees are male and female - so there does need to be cross pollination and bees can help with that. If there was a frost and the blossoms turned brown and fell off, you will get no fruit. Here is an article that will help you - http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apple-trees-dont-produce-fruit-55638.html

• Pat4272434 Pat4272434 on Jun 07, 2017
    Thanks Chas, I've had a quick look at the link you gave me and was amazed to read that pruning too vigorously could be a cause of the 'fungus' (vegetative matter). I We've been in this housev5 years and forbthevfirstv2 years, we got plenty fruit of the tree. We saw it was getting too tall so began to prune it. The following years we had a very few apples then the last 2 years, no fruit at all and we noticed that the bark had a sort of fungus on it. So I'd like to thank you for taking the time to find the link for me Chas - and we'll certainly not do any pruning of the poor tree for the next season or two.
    Thanks again
    Patricia