My apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight

+9
I noticed that the branches closet to our walkway were looking a little withered. I thought someone might have brushed too hard against them or something, but wasn't too worried. Two days later, the branches were dying and the blight started spreading. :( Help! This is a dwarf apricot tree I planted 2 years ago.
my apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight, gardening, Dying branches on apricot tree
Dying branches on apricot tree
my apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight, gardening, Close up of dying branch
Close up of dying branch
q my apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight, Bad limb in front healthy behind
Bad limb in front, healthy behind
q my apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight, Closeup
Closeup
Closeup
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Jun 05, 2013
    Do you see any signs of cankers on your trees, Callen? It's possible your apricots have "limb dieback," which is caused by a fungus. If so, you need to get a pro in to take a look at them.

• Caley's Culinaries Caley's Culinaries on Jun 05, 2013
    Call your agricultural extension agent ASAP. They will probably come out and take a look for free. You will still have to pay for tests and treatment, but it's a place to start. There is not a fast internet solution to this one, but it's probably fixable.

• Nancy Hand Nancy Hand on Jun 05, 2013
    I'm with Douglas! You probably are going to have to cut it down.

• Calien Laure Calien Laure on Jun 05, 2013
    Is this going to spread to my other fruit trees? And do I have to take the whole thing down or just the bad limbs?

• Nancy Hand Nancy Hand on Jun 05, 2013
    What does the trunk look like? I'm not sure but I think it will get to the other trees. What do you think Douglas and Caley?? Its nothing you did, its a bacteria that gets in a crack or wound during the winter.

• Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Jun 06, 2013
    I think this is a job for a tree specialist. You can find an International Society of Arboriculture certified arborist by Zip Code here: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx?utm_source=homepageclicks&utm_medium=homepagebox&utm_campaign=IAmA

• Gretchen Gretchen on Jun 06, 2013
    It might be faster to cut off a bad limb and take it into your County Extension office. They will have you fill out a form and an agent will look at it carefully (or send it to a lab for tests) and they will get back to you with recommendations. Your extension office generally performs these tests for free - especially if you take the sample to them.

• Catherine Smith Catherine Smith on Aug 17, 2013
    Agree with Gretchen, but see if your extension agent will come out and have a look. What does the trunk and bottom of the tree look like? I don't think this is canker, but it does look like some type of fungal infection, at least from what I can see.

• Lori Lori on Nov 05, 2013
    Might be fire Blight

• Linda Weeks Linda Weeks on Feb 09, 2014
    noticed you mentioned that it was near the driveway - any possibility that salt spread on the driveway has gone to the plant and damaged the root system? We have had so much snow this year!

• Patricia Martin Patricia Martin on Apr 06, 2014
    Looks like fire blight. I lost a pear tree to this. No known cure that I know of. Can cut out the infected limbs but must sterilize your clippers in between cuts or else you will spread it.

• Lisa S Lisa S on May 23, 2014
    we had some trees that did that last year but this year they are good