My beautiful Magnolia tree was hit hard by the recent snow.

+7
The branches were weighed down by the snow and were scraping the ground. I removed the snow as best I could, but it still looks wilted and I have lost two full branches. Will it recover???

• Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Dec 11, 2017
    If magnolia trees have been subjected to cold temperature conditions, wait until warmer spring weather to more accurately assess the damage. If the correct magnolia cultivar has been planted for the local climate, it is likely the freezing temperatures have caused only superficial problems. Once temperatures warm, clear away dead leaves and flower blooms to examine stems and branches for deeper damage like frost cracks. Prune away any damaged or dead wood. Apply a light fertilizer and mulch, which will help the tree recover and prevent frost from reaching the magnolia's roots in the future.

• Peter Peter on Dec 11, 2017
    In winter, cut only Broken branches. Many trees have enough flexibility to rebound in spring. Remember, if you cut now, there's less to bloom in spring!

• Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 11, 2017
    If you live south of the Manson/Dahmer line, your tree should be fine. Remember, these trees have survived much worse through the years.

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Dec 11, 2017
    I've seen Magnolia's in VA survive ice storms and heavy snows. I see no reason why a healthy tree should not survive. Cut any that are badly cracked or broken. A small crack might survive. Give some support with a stick beside or under the limb and wrap much like a broken leg can be splinted. Then uncover and check it in spring.

• Peter Peter on Dec 12, 2017
    Do NOT remove snow from trees as a rule... it does no damage unless it's Very wet and heavy (so your case may have been the exception).
    It is important to note that under snow, the temperature is usually 35-25 degreesF. After the storm clears, typically a cold wind follows with the tree exposed to 20-0 degree temps! Which condition would You seek?
    (I know GA gets this depth rarely, but in the upper Atlantic coast, we expect damage from Ice, Not snow. Snow is your friend... really!)