Can you grow vegetables in sandy soil?

+3
Every time it rains my back yard turns into a sand pile. I live about 30 miles from the Atlantic ocean I've tried to grow basil and tomato with no luck
  • Susan Oglesby Canny Susan Oglesby Canny on Jun 04, 2017
    Yes. Absolutely. If you find that you are having issues growing items first take a soil sample to a local nursery or extension office and have it tested to see what nutrients need to be added. You can also create raised beds filled with potting type or "mushroom mix " soils that are very rich.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 04, 2017
    The sandy soil is not enough nutrients to grow vegetables. Consider container gardening for you plants or make a raised garden and add the necessary amendments.

• Mom15365177 Mom15365177 on Jun 04, 2017
    Some sand is ok,but garden soil that feeds your veggies is the way to have good home grown food.

• Diane Wahl Diane Wahl on Jun 05, 2017
    Container gardening is the solution! You can pick up large deck buckets with rope handles on them from Walmart for $6-$8 each. Fill with potting soil, NOT garden soil. Plant your herbs, tomato plants, green peppers, whatever your heart desires and they will grow great. I live in an area near the river where the ground is extremely hard and rocky. I do container gardening (I picked up 8 of the large buckets) and have a great little garden. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, beans, green peppers, jalapenos, etc. I carry the containers into the garage during the winter and bring them back out in the spring. I turn the soil and add more potting soil until the bucket is 4/5ths full. You could start with one or two
    buckets and see how you like it. I love it because I have no weeding to do!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 05, 2017
    You can use containers as has been suggested, just make sure they are large enough for the mature plants to grow good roots and nourish the plant. I planted a "bush" early girl tomato in a big pot and it is already at least three feet high and probably two and a half feet wide. It is almost to the top of the cage we put on it. Size of the pot does matter. I planted six butter leaf lettuce plant in a large pot and it needs to be trimmed every couple days. My hubby can't make it up the two steep tiers to the main veggie garden, so I planted pots of lettuce, peppers, a tomato and herbs that are next to the house and he can watch them and will be able to harvest without going up the hills frequently. Just about anything can be grown in a pot as long as they get good soil, fertilizer and enough water to sustain them, as well as good sun.

• Gina Gina on Jun 05, 2017
    Check out raised garden beds as well as the container gardening.