Saving Rose Bushes Through Winter

+4
I bought 3 pitiful rose bushes in tiny containers at the grocery store this summer. With TLC they thrived and bloomed repeatedly. I planted them in pots thinking they are miniatures. I'm not so sure. My question is, instead of putting them in the garage, is it possible to wrap them in bubble wrap and put them under an outdoor structure. I can certainly stop them from the snow and ice but it will get cold. I live in Zone 9. How often should I water them?

• Cvmarin Cvmarin on Dec 01, 2017
    My Pennsylvania Knockout Roses survive over winter in ground, with a “nest” of dried leaves and garden clippings around it to insulate from worst cold.
    I believe mini roses are bred to survive indoors too, like a house plant....

• SoUncool SoUncool on Dec 02, 2017
    Like the previous poster mentioned, you shouldn’t have to do much to winterize hearty rose types. Mulching around the base with a thick layer of leaves should suffice.

• See 1 previous
    • SoUncool SoUncool on Dec 03, 2017
      Good luck! I’ll be “rooting” for them to make it through. �

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 02, 2017
    I live in Zone 9 and have my roses in the ground. Please don't wrap anything with plastic. It does not keep them warm. It actually does quite the opposite unless you are making a green house and using heavy duty plastic. Roses are cold hardy. What's not cold hardy are their roots in pots. Place your pots in a sunny location and build up dirt around the pots. Top the pots with mulch. You can cover with an old sheet during the odd freezes, but that's all you need. In the spring, use the dirt somewhere else in your garden. And think about planting your beautiful saves!

• Lynne Webb Lynne Webb on Dec 03, 2017
    Oh great answer and so simple. I can do this Zone 9 person! My backyard (where the roses are so I can see them from my kitchen window) will be easy to attend to. And, yes, it gets plenty of noon'ish to late day sun in winter.