Seeds of New Guinee impatiences?

Late last year I made a cutting of my NG plant and though it survived indoors during the cold months, it bloomed a different color this year. Now, that same plant was brought in this year in my sunny, south window still blooming, but to my surprise i noticed a few black specks around the base of the plant that stood out against the bright white sill it was on. I planted a couple of them and so far 2 have sprouted. I didn't know that these plants self seeded, if that is the right analogy for it.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 08, 2017
    Not sure I understand what your query is, exactly, but see if you don't find this informative: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/flowers/hgic1166.html

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 08, 2017
    From what I've read, some varieties do self-seed but they are usually not the color of the parent plant. What is odd is that you propagated a cutting that was a different color from the parent plant. All the articles I read said that a cutting is the only way to get the same color as the parent plant. So you must have a very special plant.

• Gar27475740 Gar27475740 on Dec 09, 2017
      If the original plant is a hybrid the offspring may revert back to the parental species and bloom in a different color.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 08, 2017
    New Guinea impatiens are hybrids, so the only way to get the same would be from a cutting. Most likely the seeds will give you whatever the root stock is. That is the way of hybrids.