Something ate all my beautiful hosta plants right down to ground level

+3
What can I do to prevent this from happening again? What kind of animal eats these?
  • Sandi Sandi on Jun 12, 2017
    It's those slimy slugs. Pour beer or soft drink in a small used margarine cup. You'll have to empty every couple of days. They crawl in and drown. Have heard you can use eggshells as they don't like to crawl over them, but I think they look un slightly.

• Joni Shade Joni Shade on Jun 12, 2017
    There is a deer that comes to my yard often. She eats the Hostas all the time and now they are nearly gone.

• Judy Ackerman Judy Ackerman on Jun 13, 2017
    Since the hosta was eaten to the ground I would say it was a deer or two. Buy some Irish Spring (original) and shred it on a hand grater and sprinkle all around the Hosta. The deer and rabbit don't like the smell and it should help him them away.

• Tam13317878 Tam13317878 on Jun 13, 2017
    that sounds like a deer. I've heard to place human hair in your flower beds and I've scent will deter them. Good luck

• JD JD on Jun 13, 2017
    Definitely deer and sometimes rabbits!! Same thing happened to me. Had huge hostas all along the side of house and garage until the deer decided to make my yard a super highway and now they pass thru morning, noon and night browsing for things to munch. Only thing that will keep them out for good is a tall fence - and not chain link. Deer will not jump a fence if they can't see what is on the other side. Saving my pennies to get one installed.

• Terri Terri on Jun 23, 2017
    it was deer, hostas are like a big salad for them.