Are river otter droppings good garden fertilizer?

+1
I often take walks along a river which has a healthy population of River Otters in it. Frequently, I find a gently sloping bank where they have climbed out to eat the shell fish they find, and where they also sometimes poop. I've often wondered if their droppings would make good fertilizer for the garden. It's probably rich in minerals from their limited diet (mostly fish and mussels), and from the shell fragments of the mussels. (Of course, I suppose it would have to "cure" and be amended before use.)

Thoughts?
  • FL FL on May 29, 2017
    I like the way you think! Very logical and practical! I would check with your local county Cooperative Extension Services. In the meantime, I saw Martha Stewart make Manure Tea on her farm by putting manure in a burlap or other fabric sack and leave it in a barrel of water. She then used the water from the barrel to water her garden. I know she used her regular water source to water first so if the manure tea was too strong it would not harm the roots. Good luck!

• Ellis Ellis on May 30, 2017
    I would check with a veterinarian and/or a zoonotic disease specialist to make sure you are not importing harmful parasites or diseases to your yard. Some things that animals carry can be deadly for humans.

• Annette Hartigan Annette Hartigan on May 30, 2017
    Good advice. (I've wondered about that, as well.)

Thanks for your tips!