Too late for my bulbs?

+8
I didn’t get all my bulbs planted this fall. Is there a way to plant them indoors until the spring and then transfer them to the garden?Bought them as a school fundraiser and I’m unfamiliar with growing things from bulbs.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 17, 2017
    I suspect yes - for outdoors planting.
    Indoors would be a forced bloom situation so there would be no natural spring blooming.

If you want spring-blooming flowers like daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths, you need to think ahead and get the bulbs in the ground before the first hard frost. They need a long period of cold weather to initiate the biochemical process that causes them to bloom and time to develop roots. "

Additionally for regional garden questions, a great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped me many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

Do an internet search ask garden expert and your state ———you'll find.......

”Fill out the Ask an Expert form below to submit your question. An Extension Master Gardener will reply via email within 48 hours. Please provide as much relevant detail as possible. If you attach photos, please ...”

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 17, 2017
    no do not plant them inside. Store them in a paper bag in a cool dark dry location

• Queenie Doss Queenie Doss on Dec 17, 2017
    if your ground is not frozen you can still plant,I have had good luck everytime

• Brenda Brenda on Dec 17, 2017
      Well the gardens are under about a foot of snow so I think that is out. Lol

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 17, 2017
    No, I would not plant them for inside the house. The bulbs need to go through a period of dormancy, which winter usually provides. Try to get them in the ground as soon as possible in the Spring.

• Brenda Brenda on Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks Aljosjer. I think that’s what I’ll do. The bulbs are in our unheated garage so maybe they will be ok til spring.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 17, 2017
    NO. The bulbs need to go through a period of very cold weather to bloom in the spring. If the ground isn't frozen, it might be worth a try to plant them now. You have nothing to lose.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 17, 2017
    In Texas, the proper time to scatter wildflower seeds on aerated soil is in December. Like bluebonnets! It still the best time to plant flower bulbs. As long as the ground has not had a hard freeze and you don’t get a warm spell to make the bulbs open too early, you have time.

• See 1 previous
    • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 18, 2017
      Wow! Yes, I’m afraid it’s too late for this year! I looked it up, and it looks like from March 15-May 1 would be better. Anytime after the first big thaw, even if it freezes again. Best wishes 😇