Tree I.D's

+16
Today I came upon these two trees growing in the woods behind our property. You all did such a good job last time I had a question, I figured I'd try again. Any ideas?
q tree i d s, gardening
q tree i d s, gardening
q tree i d s, gardening
q tree i d s, gardening
q tree i d s, gardening
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on May 28, 2012
    I wish I were better at leaf identifications, Eulalia. Do you have photos of the whole trees? That may give folks a better shot at making an ID. If not, I'd suggest paying a visit to your local Cooperative Extension office.

• Eulalia Eulalia on May 28, 2012
    I don't have a picture of the whole tree yet. I'm seeing trees and weeds in Virginia that I have never seen in Massachusetts. It's pretty exciting! I will try your suggestion as soon as I find out where the Cooperative Extension office is located. Still trying to find my way around. Thank you for your response.

• Gretchen Gretchen on Aug 10, 2013
    I also live in VA and yes, there are a lot of trees (and weeds,and bugs), here that are not in New England!There are also many variations of different trees. It would help to see the whole tree but as a first guess, the bottom picture might be a barberry hawthorn (maybe?) or it could be a blackhaw? Or maybe even a type of magnolia? The flowers in the top picture are really throwing me.

• 173371 173371 on Sep 16, 2013
    I think the two on the bottom are magnolia. I recognize the top ones, but can't think of the name.

• Kari Olar Kari Olar on Sep 17, 2013
    I agree with Elizabeth, the two bottom ones are magnolia.

• Melva Slanac Melva Slanac on Nov 10, 2013
    The brown seed one looks like what I cut off my crepe myrtles

• Angela Bahling Angela Bahling on Jan 30, 2014
    Eulalia, do you have an iPad or iPhone? There is an app that IDs trees and shrubs called Leafsnap HD. I have really enjoyed using it! Good luck on the identification!

• Were the flowers white bell shaped?

• Penny Penny on Feb 23, 2014
    If I saw that top one around here, the first one I would look up in the field guide would be black cherry if those were once white flowers

• Betty Ganung Betty Ganung on Feb 23, 2014
    Look like what we here in North Carolina call a Sourwood tree. Flowers shaped like lily of the valley.

• ByLightOfMoon ByLightOfMoon on Feb 23, 2014
    The top 3 photos are from a Sourwood Tree, I find the brown pods all over the place, They make honey with the bees pollinating in NC

The pods are white and beautiful when blooming!

• Barb Barb on Apr 12, 2014
    None of these leaves are Magnolia leaves. Magnolia leaves are much larger and thicker, also darker green.

• Glenda Thompson Glenda Thompson on Apr 13, 2014
    The first photos are a Sourwood sometimes it is called lily of the valley tree, I think the second is a Buckeye you will have to wait until the bloom/seed pod becomes a large brown pod in the late summer it will have a lighter spot looks like a deers eye. Have fun learning about the trees in the south.

• Penny Penny on Apr 14, 2014
    I am glad to know about the Sourwood, but the second one is not a buckeye. I have one right in my yard.

• Penny Penny on Apr 14, 2014
    Here is information on the Ohio Buckeye tree: http://sites.ipfw.edu/native-trees/OhioBuckeyeIconGallery.htm

• Kerry Brown Kerry Brown on May 15, 2016
    The first one seems to be black cherry look it up in a tree book and see if you agree?

The 2nd one I will give u 3 possibilities and u need to look the bark of the tree up in a tree book. If it is a magnolia is could only be a Saucer (Chinese) Magnolia, an Osage-orange or a Pacific Dogwood? I hope this helps good Luck!

• Mary Mary on Oct 08, 2016
    Download the app, Leafsnap. Wonderful tool.