What is the best way to dry fresh dill?

+5
We have fresh dill growing all over our yard! I would like to dry it to use all year. I do not have a dehydratior - how else can I dry it for use later on?
  • Lucky you! I love dill and had to purchase my plants. This is so easy! First take an old cookie sheet and line with paper towels (for most herbs I use cheesecloth, but dill crumbles easily when dried), place the dill fronds on the paper towels, cover with more paper towels. You can build 2 or 3 layers. Then just place in a non drafty location and wait a few days to a week or so. Air dried herbs! Then place in a spice bottle or metal tin for use at a later date. Also makes a great gift too. I grow a lot of herbs and give away fresh and what is left over I air dy, place in spice tins and give as gifts in a pretty basket with a packet of cheesecloth and butchers twine to make boquet garni.

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jun 12, 2017
    tie it up in bouquets and hang from a curtain rod or hook. Another alternative is to remove the leaves from the stems, place in a ziplock bag and freeze them. I find the frozen herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, marjoram, sage) can be used just as one would use fresh. Parsley and basil are easier to chop frozen than fresh!

• Colleen Baugus Colleen Baugus on Jun 12, 2017
    I JUST CUT IT DOWN . TIE STEMS TOGETHER WITH GOOD STRING. HANG UPSIDE DOWN IN A COOL DRY DARK ROOM OR I PUT MINE IN MY CLOSET. MINE CAME OUT GREAT

• Ei Ei on Jun 12, 2017
    Hang the stalks upside down and air dry. Might want to put them in a paper bag to catch the dill seeds.

• Diane Diane on Jun 12, 2017
    I've tried 2 ways that both work. (a) You can place the dill right on your oven rack and set on the lowest setting. If you do this just before you go to bed, it should be dry by morning. (b) I've also tied stems together and hung upside down to dry. If you have a breezy place to hang them, they'll dry faster.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 12, 2017
    I found that air dying keeps the flavor best if you want to dry them, tried oven and microwave versions and found the flavor wasn't as good. Freezing is also good for dill. I use dill in almost all the vegetables we eat, gives it a nice fresh flavor.

• Diane Diane on Jun 14, 2017
    Awesome ideas! Thanks everyone!

• Nancy Eaton McEwen Nancy Eaton McEwen on Jun 14, 2017
    Air drying. Or put some in ice cube tray with a few drops of water and freeze till you need them. I have trays labeled in my freezer with different herbs.