What is this

+20
can you tell me what is this...it takes over my entire garden if i let it.....it runs all over, when squeezed it has water to it.....help, is it a weed or flower
what is this, flowers, gardening
  • Kristy Champion Kristy Champion on Jul 10, 2013
    what part of the country? Southeast? Northeast? etc.?

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 10, 2013
    LOUISIANA

• Linda Hopper Linda Hopper on Jul 10, 2013
    Looks like a wondering Jew.

• Donna Ennis Donna Ennis on Jul 11, 2013
    It looks kind of like that but, I have only seen it in purple. Never in green,

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 11, 2013
    I have some green wandering jew <they come in various colors ...Stephanie,is the leaf thick,almost plastic/fake looking?

• Peg Peg on Jul 11, 2013
    it's a variety of the "tradescantias"/spiderwort species, same as wandering jew which has purple and white strips or the solid dark purple setcreasea. This one could be the small leaf spiderwort, grows white flowers, a garden weed. You can grow some of it in a pot as an accent plant though!

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 11, 2013
    sharon, the leaves are plastic like, but very small,,,,where ever i put it it attaches and run...have a garden full...sometimes i accent my new plants with them and they end up taking over...its very invasive... thanks peg, its exactly what it does...i have some in pots...so its a cousin to the wandering jew. thanks for all of your help....

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 11, 2013
    found the answer...small leaf spiderwort...thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone,,,,they were very helpful

• Jonathan chambers Jonathan chambers on Jul 12, 2013
    I been looking for some of that.Were can I get some?It makes a nice indoor plant.Had a friend and her mom had it growing in every corner of 1 room and they connected and it was going around her whole room.

• Fenya Kashergen Fenya Kashergen on Jul 12, 2013
    Tratascantia, meandering Hebrew, or wandering Jew. Makes a nice lite blue flower and a pretty good houseplant

• Starla Swanson Starla Swanson on Jul 12, 2013
    Wandering jew comes in green and purple. It may also be the ground cover form of Jasmine. It does not bloom and grows like mad. Had it for a ground cover in Florida and it was great.

• Pete Sakes Pete Sakes on Jul 12, 2013
    Green wandering jew.

• Sharon Romine Sharon Romine on Jul 12, 2013
    Looks kind of like a haloa plant..

• Roberta Alessi Roberta Alessi on Jul 12, 2013
    Do you like it? If you do, keep it and if you don't pull it....at least that's my philosophy!

• Mary-Jo  Westbrook Mary-Jo Westbrook on Jul 12, 2013
    road trip for Jonathon to Louisianna!

• Melinda Lockwood Melinda Lockwood on Jul 12, 2013
    Yup- Green Wandering Jew.

• Pamela Bakane Pamela Bakane on Jul 13, 2013
    I believe it looks like varigated ivy, I have alot of it in my yard. It has purple flowers on it in the spring. I am in AL.

• Shelly Giorgis Shelly Giorgis on Jul 13, 2013
    FYI: Purple wandering jew is NOT deer resistant

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 13, 2013
    THANK U AGAIN...I HAVE THIS IN MY YARD....MY MOM GAVE ME A PLANT WITH THIS HANGING OUT OF IT AND IT GREW, I PULLED IT DURING THE WINTER AND PLACE IN MY GARDEN FOR SORT OF MULCH. IT IS HAS WATER IN IT...I PULL IT AND IT COMES BACK....I KIND OF LIKE IT BECAUSE IT. IT HELPS MY FLOWERS KEEP MOIST IT THAT MAKES ANY SINCE......I LOVE IT.....FOUND THE NAME EVERYONE--SMALL LEAF SPIDERWORT.

• Joe Strachan Joe Strachan on Jul 14, 2013
    It is Wandering Jew. You can just tear off a piece and stick it in dirt and it will grow. It looks great in a hanging pot. I just found out that the green is annual, and the purple is perennial. I did not know this. I hope this helps. I love it..

• Carol S Carol S on Jul 30, 2013
    Does it have Royal blue flowers? They used to spring up every where at my last yard. Now I am sorry I never tried to pot then and bring them inside.

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 30, 2013
    Sorry Carol, no flowers that I have seen, but my mother says it makes a tiny white flower.

• Stephanie Stephanie on Jul 30, 2013
    Joe, I did not know that....This for the info....