What is this PLANT !! a weed !!!

+22
I have several of these plants in my yard... and they get HUGE !!! I MEAN HUGE !!! i have tried to kill it cause it gets invasive too ! i have used vinegar and hot water,and full vinegar and NO LUCK !!!! anyone have any idea what this is tyvm !
what is this plant a weed, gardening, What is this plant it gets HUGE and is invasive too
What is this plant ? it gets HUGE and is invasive too.
  • Peg Peg on Sep 16, 2013
    I would call it a weed.......Invasive weeds are the worse & stubborn.

• Mary C Mary C on Sep 16, 2013
    tyvm :)

• Claudia Claudia on Sep 16, 2013
    Dock weed

• Mary C Mary C on Sep 16, 2013
    I prefer to call it pain the BuTt WEED !!!! i have poured white vinegar on it and that has helped but might need a GOOD DOSE DAILY and then followed by some SERIOUSLY HOT WATER for good measure ! and DIG THAT $#%^$%&^%&$^$^%$%&^^ Plant up out of the GORUND !!! thank you ALL for ALL your help ! much appreciated ! <3

• Elaine Elaine on Sep 16, 2013
    Looks like a turnip green. If it is its good eating. We plant them in the garden for winter crop.

• Nancy Rhodes C Nancy Rhodes C on Sep 17, 2013
    Acanthus Mollis -- lovingly known as Bear's Breeches. It's tall shoots bloom purple flowers up the stalk in early summer before the heat bears down on it too harshly.

• Burdock is excellent for homemade compost tea. Just cut back the leaves, bruise and put in a large pail and cover with water. Let sit for a week or longer, strain and dilute with water before feeding plants. By the time the plant re-foliates, you can make another batch!

• Ann S Ann S on Sep 18, 2013
    weed dig it up by the roots and dispose of it

• Leida R Leida R on Sep 18, 2013
    Interesting. It was from the seeds of this plant that George de Mestral came up with the idea of creating velcro.

• Molly Meredith Molly Meredith on Sep 18, 2013
    rhubarb?

• Bonnie Lewenza Bonnie Lewenza on Sep 18, 2013
    use 1 cup of salt a few drops of dish soap and the rest vinegar, Do not get on anything else because it will KILL it. grass weeds flowers plants. Safe around pets and is best to do in full sun works quicker.

What is it then?

oops sorry I didn't see the answers at the beginning

• Jossi Jossi on Sep 18, 2013
    It's a pain in the a...lol We have it here in Vermont, too, and I pull it up and it keeps returning. Good luck ! :)

• Mary C Mary C on Sep 18, 2013
    Thank You Jossi ! so far the general consensus is IT IS A WEED !!! :(( GOOD LUCK ! tyvm for adding to the comments :)

• Shelby24019 Shelby24019 on Sep 18, 2013
    If you google Burdock you will find a picture of it. This ting has a long tap root and very hard to get rid of. It sows seeds like crazy. The only way I was able to get rid of mine was used a small paint brush and painted the several leaves and down into the middle of the stalk with pure vine and brush killer. This way it doesn't get on anything else or the soil.

• Patty A Patty A on Sep 19, 2013
    It is pretty. You certainly got a lot of different answers! I don't know what it is but let mine grow in my garden like a huge hosta plant. Very striking. Doesn't spread for me.

• Molly Meredith Molly Meredith on Sep 20, 2013
    Love the purple flower and Burdock is a blood cleanser but the root system looks brutal!

• Nancy Rhodes C Nancy Rhodes C on Sep 20, 2013
    I told you it is a Bear's Breeches but I do not see my comment. It grows like a weed but it is actually beautiful acanthus looking leaves which grows big stalks straight up with purple flowers all up the stalk. Just beautiful. I have several now along a fence because babies keep being born. Lol. I believe that is what it is. The stalks can grow as high as 5 feet tall and the leaves are huge.

Well, I guess it is a weed but it sure looks like my Bear's Breeches. Excuse me.

• Geri P Geri P on Sep 20, 2013
    Looks like burdock...good luck...I have been trying for 6 yrs to rid my yard of it and still have some popping up in my flower garden!!!

• Dolores Dolores on Sep 21, 2013
    If the stalks of this plant are pinkish/ red with some still green, then it is rubarb