What perennial plant will survive Illinois' hot weather, all day sun?

+2
What perennial plant will survive Illinois' hot weather, all day sun and no watering, other than the water from mother nature's occasional rain? (this from a lazy, aging fast, gardener with 12 flower beds surrounding the house, 5 large tree beds, and one bed off the patio, all to maintain)
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 13, 2017
    Sedum

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jun 13, 2017
    Lantana...needs little care

• Karen Karen on Jun 13, 2017
    I have a lot of Lantana and verbena in my flower beds. We live in North Carolina so trust me when I saw they're pretty drought tolerant and they attract lots of butterflies and they spread so they can cover large areas. Always read the little cards that come with the plants. Most of the time they tell you what type of sun and how much water they need.

• Allison Allison on Jun 14, 2017
    On board with the lantana, and verbena. Make sure you get Miss Huff lantana and the purple verbena for perennials. Though the verbena may not survive your colder winters but, here in SC, it does. I also love bee balm, which self sows and is gorgeous.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 14, 2017
    Lantana is treated as an annual in your Hardiness Zone, but there are ways to get it through the winter if you want it to grow as a perennial. Here's a link that might help:

HTH