When can I cut the dead flower heads off of my hydrangea for the winte

+7
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 11, 2017
    Here you go, I hope this answers the question. Hydrangeas are one of the most beautiful plants.

• Lynne Lynne on Dec 12, 2017
      Thanks so much Janet! I wish i had read this before I snipped the dead blooms, though I just barely cut into the stem. Hopefully there will be blooms next year!

• Mku9582943 Mku9582943 on Dec 12, 2017
    I would cut them off when they start to go brown and droop. I have not seen them go into a seed pod.

• Lynne Lynne on Dec 12, 2017
      That’s what I finally did. Couldn’t stand the brown blooms any more. I cut them just under the blooms for now, since I wasn’t sure how much to cut back. Thanks so much!

• John John on Dec 12, 2017
    There are different types of Hydrangeas. The one is more of an upright shrub. These can get extremely tall. We have some that we have to work on with step ladders. We generally allow these to remain on during the winter to provide something to look at during the winter months. You can also cut them and use the blossoms for dried arrangements, however, spraying then with a dull finish sealant will make them stay together better and last longer. Then, in the spring, we prune the remaining flower heads and shape the plant for a new year's growth. By mid-summer our plants are loaded with blossoms. I recommend a fertilizer such as 14-14-14 or 10-6-4 be spread until the plant's branches early spring and late summer. Do not use too much nitrogen (the first number) as this encourages leaves and stems, but not flowering
    The smaller types, such as Endless Summer, are a smaller plant that basically dies back each year. We generally cut them 1/3 to 1/2 the way back in fall. In the spring, we monitor growth since sometimes there are late starters. If the tips of branches do not respond, we prune back to green wood and remove any remaining stalks that have died during the winter. It is easier to remove dead stalks right after the fall pruning. Right after you have cut the stalks, the live ones will be green inside, The dead ones will be thoroughly dead dried.
    I manage well over a hundred of these in Canton, Ohio at Gervasi Vineyard. I am their Resident Horticulturalist.

• Lynne Lynne on Dec 12, 2017
      Wow! This is so helpful and answered my question completely. I guess it would have helped to say I’m in Louisiana and I have the lime light hydrangea. I’ve cut the dead blooms off, leaving lots of branch as these are 1st year plants and are about 2’ tall, but leggy. Maybe more pruning in early spring for new growth. Thanks so much!

• John John on Dec 12, 2017
    We also have limelight. They are semi shaded and tend to get leggy and fall over. We have tried to support them in various ways to no avail. This coming year I am going to try to keep all the branches pruned right from the start and keep pruning for the first month. This will tend to make the flower heads smaller and I am hoping that with more branching they will support each other better. Try different techniques. Hydrangeas are pretty hardy and can take about anything. The worst thing that will happen is you might get a few less flowers for one year.