When do you pick vegetables from your garden?

+2
I planted a garden about 6 weeks ago & now have vegetables. When is a good time to pick the vegetables?
  • Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jun 17, 2017
    We all want to harvest our vegetables as soon as possible but it's best to wait and let them mature. Pick one-or-two and taste them before harvesting the whole bunch. Most vegetables take 60+ days till harvest. Unless you started with good sized plants.

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Jun 17, 2017
    You know the size and color of veggies in the store? Use those as guidelines. You might pick only a few each day, having to wait until you have enough to eat, or you may pick a lot at one time, meaning cook, freeze, can. My parent's garden was almost an acre and they worked it with a tractor. If still unsure, pick one and taste it...? Ripe or not.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 17, 2017
    Hi Craftiterry, I planted my garden on Mother's Day and my vegetables are just now getting blossoms. I should be able to harvest tomatoes in another month. Maybe a little sooner for the Early Girls. Once the vegetable shows itself and loses the blossom, you still have to give the vegetable time to grow and get bigger. Hope this helps.

• Car6848341 Car6848341 on Jun 17, 2017
    In the morning, most fruit and verges have the most flavor in the morn

• John John on Jun 17, 2017
    lol lol lol--about to wet my pants...sorry for laughing--- either you are a city slicker or must be new to gardening...I've been a farmer for over 40 years...you pick when they are ripe---with that said each vegetable has it's own length of time to ripen and depends on how you intend to use them---for salads use fully ripened on the plant....ever hear of fried green tomatoes---pick the tomato before it ripens---for pickled okra pick when about an inch long/ for fried okra pick when about 4 inches long...for crop seeds pick when the pod splits open...so you see there is no real answer for the correct time to pick....when I say fully ripened--a tomato or pepper should easily pull loose from the stem...for leafy plants like spinach--think of what you see at a salad bar or in the grocery store. One more example: in the grocery store you can buy bags of baby carrots and bags of full size carrots-both are ripe, just picked at different stages of growth...come to my farm and I'll let you milk the bull or gather eggs from the rooster---have a great time gardening