Where can I get white material to cover vegetables in the garden?

I saw a show on tv that covered leafy vegetables like kale with some type of white material to keep insects from eating the leaves, but they never said what it was made of or where to get it. Has anyone heard of this or tried it?
  6 answers
  • Sherry Case Sherry Case on May 06, 2017


    My mom and dad used muslin and cheese cloth to cover young plants and they bought it at our local department store.

    Today, you can find (row cover cloth), that is it is called, at garden centers, Ebay, and also Amazon. The lowest price on Amazon was $11.95 for roll that was 5 ft. wide and 25 ft. long!

    Not Bad!

  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on May 06, 2017

    Muslin is more closely knit than cheesecloth and will keep out more bugs. You can even cut slits for each plant while keeping the length of muslin going. But my grandparents used cheesecloth for tomato plants, bunching up the cloth around each plant. They said white cloth also caught the bugs that died when they sprayed--forget the new organic, they wanted those stinkers dead.

  • Sharon Kay Brown-Lewis Sharon Kay Brown-Lewis on May 06, 2017

    Thank you for that info! I am heading out to see what I can find!

  • Carolyn from NH Carolyn from NH on May 07, 2017

    It is called garden cloth. I can't find it locally, but did find it on line. There are two different weights, I use the lightest one because my blueberries need lots of sun . It also lets in plenty of rain for moisture. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I will find web site for you. Happy hunting 🤗.

  • Liz Liz on May 07, 2017

    go to a drapery store and buy the sheer material. There is also some end cuts to be found at a drapery shop.

  • Liz Liz on May 07, 2017

    Go to Cardinal Custom Drapery in Fraser. or go to Gilbaltars for fabric