Why would my asparagus patch this year drop back to so few liv

+1
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 26, 2017
    How old is the patch?

• Mary lu Mary lu on May 27, 2017
    mine didn't do good this year either. I think maybe it was the crazy weather we had this spring. extreme temp changes from freezing to hot. I'm hoping next year will be better. I'm in michigan, where are you located?

• Sherrie Sherrie on May 28, 2017
    I also have a patch of asparagus that has not done well this season. The patch is three years old and I live in south Texas. We had a freeze in early March but the rest of my tropical plants have rebounded and the asparagus has grown, but it puts out bushy tops, no actual spears. Any suggestions.

• Sylvia Candler Sylvia Candler on May 30, 2017
    Mine didn't do as well this year either! Must have been the crazy weather here in SC too. I usually fertilize heavily in January and get good spears come late Feb./early Mar. but this year just a few spears. Not enough for a good meal. Very disappointing year for sure. Next year be sure to fertilize your plants well with composted cow manure in Jan. if your climate allows, early as possible. The earlier you can fertilize the better. I use Black Cow brand composted manure and it works great, won't burn your asparagus plants.