Can I use treated lumber to make a rasied garden?

+3
  • Kenneth M. Dougherty Kenneth M. Dougherty on May 26, 2017
    Not a good idea. Cancer causing Chemicals leach out of the wood and enter your plants. The better alternative would be to use Cedar. It is naturally resistant to rot and no chemical contamination to your garden.

• Jen Jen on May 26, 2017
    I would NOT recommend! If any chemicals leech out it will go into your food!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 26, 2017
    It would be ok if the garden is used for decorative means and not for food. There are more than one way to treat the wood, I know there is one way that isn't going to leech chemicals into your veggies, but can't come up with it from the top of my head right now. I think it is done without chemicals. Go to a good garden center and ask them, they should be able to tell you, or perhaps your local extension would be able to tell you.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on May 30, 2017
    I like the ribbed sheet metal (barn roofing), available in 24" x 8"; you can use treated lumber for the supports on the outside corners and in the middle of the long sides. To avoid the sharp edge you can file it, or take old garden hose, slit one side and slide over the top edge.

• Of course, treated lumber is better then non treated lumber. In time non treated lumber will rot. Treated lumber is put under a pressure bath of a chemical that stays in the wood and won't bleed off into the garden.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Jun 09, 2017
    You could use the treated lumber and then line the inside of the bed with heavy plastic drop cloths.