How to soften the soil of hard ground?

+3
Yhe yard at my house is very hard. is there a way to soften up the soil! Trying to dig a hole is so very hard to do. Any suggestions would be great.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 22, 2018
    your best bet is to have the soil rototilled then amend the soil with gypsum,lime,peat moss and top soil

• Patricia Q. Patterson Patricia Q. Patterson on Jun 22, 2018
    Purchase or rent a tiller and add tons of compost. I have done this and it really helped. You can buy small bags of compost with manure at Ace Hardware or nurseries.

• If your yard is accessible by machinery, you can have it rototilled.

• Cindy Kistner Cindy Kistner on Jun 23, 2018
    I suggest adding peat moss & sand to the tilled/turned in soil! We have done it to our garden area when we till ( the last 2 Years) and you can see/feel the difference.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 23, 2018
    Hi Nancy! If you have access to a tiller, that would help. You can also rent them from rental businesses and some home improvement stores. If you can't till, sometimes it is easier to dig it up if it is wet by a hose, it is heavier, but can help sometimes. Break up the dirt really well and amend it with sand, peat moss and garden or potting soil if you are planting something where you dig. If you don't have access to compost, add a little sterilized manure (won't smell). Don't amend with top soil unless you are adding other amendments because the top soil may not be any different than what you are digging up. It has no nutrients added and is basically just dirt with the clay and everything that will pack down on you again.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 23, 2018
    Just keep adding peat moss and top soil. I have this situation . Over the years it has improved from adding so much. I also add some plain playground sand. Take you leaves in the winter and leave them in dark bags all winter. They will rot some. Come spring work this stuff into the soil. It helps as well.