Help, I want to grow vegetables and fruit trees

I live in San Antonio, TX I need to know what type of soil I need to buy in order to built a vegetable and fruit trees in my garden?

• Bonny Batchelor Bonny Batchelor on Jun 26, 2018
    First, find out what zone you’re in. Whats up with your soil
    now? You probably just need amendments. Make sure to dig the hole twice the size of rootball. Fill in with good soil and BABY that thing for the first year!

• Oliva Oliva on Jun 26, 2018
    You're zone 9A. You'll need to insure your soil can retain some moisture, or you'll spend a great deal of time watering. If you have clay soil, you'll need to amend with compost and perhaps clean top soil. If your soil test shows your soil is too acidic or alkaline, check google search for remedies. If the garden area isn't excessively large, lay down black plastic atop the soil to kill weeds. After a month, make "X" cuts in the plastic for your vegetable plants, digging down about 6" and putting some fertilizer in each hole. Add some water, check for drainage, then plant and put the flaps from the "X" back in place. If you want to keep weeds at bay, place small rocks at the corners of the "X". Best advice is to prepare your planting areas far in advance of actual planting. If you can place "drip hoses" in your garden, with a timer attached to your home's water faucet, it will save you much time. Don't buy your trees until you know what you want, where you'll plant them, and the space it will need when fully grown. Dig the hole in advance, check for drainage, add amendments if needed. Add 3-4" mulch at the drip line area, to within 4" of the main trunk (not up against the main trunk, to avoid rot). Fertilize as needed. Use a sun shield if the tree will be susceptible to "sun scald".Monitor for damage from rodents, deer, etc. You may need to build a wire enclosure, at least for the first few years.

• Cuky Cuky on Jun 27, 2018
      Thank you, for your information. Wow I never knew how difficult is going to be to have a vegetable garden, but I will give it a try.